Several months after the frame was done, I stared in on the wheels. I wanted to replace the rims with shouldered alloy rims and SS spokes. I also wanted to learn how to lace a wheel. So I ordered everything from Buchannans.
My first step was to measure the wheel offsets which I documented here rim-offsets-75-norton-commando.html .
Once I knew that I pulled the hubs, rebuilt them and laced up the new rims. Here was my quick and dirty method to measure the offset when I was building them. I used the flats on the hub center as a reference.
Next up was the forks. I chose to go with the Lansdowne upgrade from Madass www.tritonmotorcycleparts.com/(I did this on another bike and really liked them).
Decided this would be an excellent place to store my rim offset info before I tear down these wheels. I referenced from the disc rotor face to the outside of the rim.
Front Rim Setup
Looks like 32/64 to me
Rear Wheel Setup
Looks like 57/64 to me
Front: 32/64 = 0.500 in
Rear: 57/64 = 0.891 in
I also measured the width of the rim from outside to outside at 2.690.
So the dimensions from the disc face to the CENTER of the rim would be
Front: 0.500 + (2.690/2) = 1.845 in
Rear: 0.891 + (2.690/2) = 2.236 in
After a nice 4 year break, I picked the project back up in 2014. My first order of business was to sort all the parts. I chose to do this by the groups in the parts manual. After I sorted everything, I collected up all the fasteners and prepared them to get CAD plated. I used Colorado Cadmium Plating (used to be Aero Propeller) in Broomfield, Colorado - http://coloradoplating.com/. They were fast and affordable, but more importantly, they were willing to take on lots of loose little bits from some random person. This really took some time to get everything sorted and together.
Still feeling motivated, I got the frame and other parts powdercoated. I also started polishing aluminum.
Way back in 2010 I answered an ad on SF Craigslist for a Norton, in pieces. I immediately called and told the guy I wanted it as the price was so good it really didn't matter what was there, plus he had the pink slip and it was registered. I drove down and he related he and his brother, both Harley guys, thought it would be cool to build a Norton. They found a decent one, pulled it all a part, purchased some spares and tools and then, realizing it was English, lost interest. It sat that way for a couple of years - in boxes in a basement - until I came along. Heres what I got:
4When I sat down to look at everything, there seemed to be a complete '75, plus a '73 frame and cradle, some extra rims and some Norton tools. Not a bad haul. All the '75 stuff seemed to be in reasonable condition, so I was excited.
So excited, I put it all away and didn't look at it for about 4 years.