Revel Tie Downs
One of the very first things I did was to try to remove the tie down shackle from the garage. The owners manual shows how you push in the center button to release it, then you slide it out of the base. Sounds easy. I went to go that on ours and found WB had mounted the base in such a way as to capture the shackle so you couldn't remove it. Not only that, many of the screws were obviously over torqued.
OK, so I removed the two screws that were in the way and found - they were too big. The head on the screw was too large to fully seat in the chamfer provided in the base. This lead them to stick up enough to foul the shackle.
After a few minutes on the mill, I make the chamfer larger and went to go remount them.
Unfortunately several of the screws had been stripped - they're sheet metal screws drilled directly into the floor, so if they're over torqued, they just strip out. I put some speed nuts on the back side to fix this.
By the way, if you happen to loose the base piece under the flooring and then manage to push it so far you can't get it, you can use a vacuum to retrieve it. I duct taped some tubing on the end of my vacuum, stuck it under the flooring and in about a second had it back out.
I also found the weather proofing that WB used - apparently Great Stuff Black - was sprayed all over, but not necessarily on the screw penetrations. Some Rustoleum hopefully will take care of that.
So in summary, our brand new Revel I found a removable tie down I couldn't remove, which lead to finding the screws were too big, which lead to finding some were stripped, to finding some did not have any weather proofing. This was my first taste of WB Quality Control. More to come.
Leave a Reply.